Marple Senior Citizens Association was formed in 1967. The idea of a 'club' in Marple for residents over 60 years of age was first discussed in the 1950's by pensioners at that time and the Marple Old Folks Association was formed with help from the local branch of Toc H.
The group met in available local halls at first, then decided to raise money to construct a permanent home, a 'club house'. The original building was funded by Cheshire County Council, Marple Urban District Council and from many donations and fundraising within the area.
The project was a true Community Project with much money raised within the Community. Ownership of the building would be split between the local authorities concerned and the 'Old Folks Association'.
Raising money within the community was led by Alex Russell, chairman, assisted by a hard working team of local residents.
The design of the building was very much then as it can be seen today. Special emphasis was placed on the kitchen are as it was envisaged to provide meals at some stage.
The building was officially opened, with a small ceremony, on 30 September 1967, a plaque to mark this is located in the foyer.
In 1984 the name was changed from 'Old Folks Association' to 'Marple Senior Citizens Association'.
Today the facilities are jointly managed and maintained by Stockport MBC who inherited the local authority function (formerly Cheshire County Council and Marple Urban District Council) in 1974 after local government reorganisation, and the MSCA membership who elect a committee every year for day to day management. The members of the MSCA committee also act as Trustees in accordance with Charity Commission Rules. We are a registered charity with the Charity Commission, our charity number is 250566.
The club is as lively as ever with weekly activities taking place in the lounge and the hall. The premises are also used or hired by local organisations.